Owner of Lenox House Design Jennifer Horstman found a natural fit in the interior design industry. The portfolio on her website is filled with photos of some of the beautiful spaces she has created—from the inviting warmth of a farmhouse-style kitchen to the bright colors of a David Bowie–themed room. “I was drawn toward homes, inside and out,” Horstman says, referring to what attracted her to the industry.
While Horstman got her first degree in fine arts, her fascination led her to a second degree in her late 20s in interior design. “It was one of the greatest decisions, as it truly gave me a career I can be excited about,” she says.
Since then, Horstman has learned the ropes of interior design, with new construction being her favorite. “[New construction] allows you to take a project without any pretense in a direction influenced by the client’s needs, wants and desires,” she says.
Technology-heavy appliances including smart lighting systems are hot right now, but there are many ways to update your home without remodeling your entire space. Small changes can go a long way.
Ways to refresh your home yourself:
• Repainting. Paint is a way to freshen up your space—whether it’s a room or cabinet, it’s a way to make an impact.
• DIY chalk paint on kitchen cabinets.
• Replacing small appliances. New appliances can benefit your life in general and give you a new look.
• Lighting is a great way to bring something exciting to your space.
• New patterns and color. Whether it’s wallpaper or window shades, textiles can make an impact.
Lenox House Design
3036 Jersey Ave. S, St. Louis Park